An Outfit


 I rather like outfit posts, but I wonder if they make me feel too silly.  Should I feel silly, or is it just fun, or maybe silly in a good way?  Would you be interested in seeing more outfits?  Anyway, here's an outfit.
 
I've been having a super lot of fun getting dressed lately.  Losing, well, 60 pounds, helps in that department.  Shocking how much less I fret about what to put on without that extra weight, although I keep having to go through my closets and get rid of stuff.  I've given away enough clothes to clothe an army (and wouldn't they be a super cute army?!), and there are still days when I think, Gosh, I'm feeling so frumpy/lousy about myself, and I look down and realize that every item of clothing is too big.  That's a weird thing, to not have realized your clothes are too big, but you have these clothes, see, for example, a pair of pants that were always your skinny pants, the ones that fit you for a day or so if you held in your stomach all day, and even though you're in a size smaller than those pants now, you are still sure those won't fit yet because being your skinny pants is a part of their intrinsic identity, you thought, and then you try them on and low and be behold, too big. You've missed the window and now they look lame.  I know this all sounds like very exciting stuff, and it is, sure, yes, let me tell you.  I've been hoping and wishing and dreaming and frankly working my tail off to get here, but the thing they don't tell you, the thing people don't talk about, is how disorienting it is to lose this much weight, or maybe any weight at all, because your BODY is CHANGING, I mean physically not the same, a change we shouldn't underestimate so, and this is part of why people turn around and go right back up: it's emotional, really intensely emotional, and People, not every one of those emotions is good.  This is hard to explain because our culture is so focused on weight loss and obsessed with thinking it solves every problem in the world, and I really just meant to show you my outfit, but now I'm on the subject, so I'll say a bit more.  This is why (and I'm about to get really soapbox-y) a solution to a weight problem that doesn't address every piece of it, what you put in your mouth and how you move your body as well as all of the emotional business, is going to be a bummer, it's going to feel terrifying, a different sort of terrifying than gaining a lot of weight, but more exposed, more raw, and less likely to offer lasting success.  Okay, now I'm done.  
See? An outfit.  That's all I meant to say.  The skirt came from The Gap in Bath, England about a million years ago; the shirt came from The Gap in Brookline, MA a few months ago; I got the belt at Charlotte Russe and the boots at Marshall's, and the necklace (can you even see the necklace?) was on clearance at Anthropologie for $10.  $10?! Yes, 10.  I had no idea they would mark down that low, since it was originally like 70 or something, and those people are insane with their gorgeous million dollar items, but there it was looking fabulous with a $10 pricetag, and who had a good day that day?  I did.  I certainly did.

Comments

Sam Ruddick said…
i'd like to see fewer outfit posts and more barely dressed posts. you know, like, pictures of deja leaning into the camera in a low cut shirt. pictures of deja putting on high heeled shoes and nothing else. et cetera. although maybe i don't want you to post those pictures online...
Elise said…
Lol. Sam. Love sam.

I love this post. And I'm glad you posted this. It is incredibly interesting. And I know it's not the same, but I feel similarly about pregnancy/nursing, etc. I'm sort of tired of my body changing. Over and over. It's ridiculous.

And I love your outfits. You should be my personal dresser.
belann said…
You look wonderful my little Deja. The outfit is classy. Sure would like to see you and it in person.
Emily said…
You look so great. Thanks for being honest about all the aspects of weight loss. And please more outfit posts. This outfit is rockin.
eden said…
you look amazing!

and amen, amen, amen about the weight loss thing. i just went through a weight gain... (no bueno), but i felt the same way when i had lost about 30 lbs. i remember looking at a picture of me and a friend of mine and being surprised that i looked that thin. i still pictured myself as heavy as i had been before. all sorts of crazy mental things go on while your body changes like that.

you look beautiful!
Genevieve Beck said…
Love the outfit. Love the whole post and totally understood and agree with everything!
Mike and Emily said…
Sam...you're funny, and Deja...you are both smart and stunning. More outfit posts, please.
Annie said…
Wowza! You really can work a thick belt! I love the outfit posts, though I admit it makes me feel a little frumpy in my stained shirt and grungy shorts. That's okay. And I hear you about the body changing. The most difficult part of pregnancy for me was the physical alteration of my body. It really messed with my head.

Anyway, you really look fantastic! You really are fantastic.
Amara said…
I can't believe I wasted two days before I saw this post! You're looking all fabulous even without a ten dollar price tag on. That WOULD be silly. I like the outfit posts and thanks for being such an inspiration.
Lizzie Jones said…
DEJA, YOU LOOK AWESOME. WOW. And I really meant every letter of that all-caps statement.
Deja said…
You guys are nice people. Thank you. And somehow I always forget that pregnancy alters the body drastically and quickly, so of course many of you know what I mean. Thank heavens. And seriously, ya'll made my day with your niceness. I think I will post more outfits. They're fun for me.
Deja, Thank you for this post. It was great. I hope you know how much your little piece of the blogosphere perks up my life. I've been on my own little body-makeover crusade, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm really glad you addressed the emotional aspects of weight loss that so often get overlooked. It was really insightful and well put in your undeniably loveable Deja way. Keep it coming! Love you much!
Bryson and Tara said…
Deja. You look AMAZING!!! And I adore your outfit. Will you come shopping with me? Seriously. I want to pull off the belt thing and haven't figured out how to yet.
See Mack Snow said…
Deja, you're smokin' hot.
kathy w. said…
I'm glad you got soapbox-y. Because the emotional aspect isn't something we really talk about. Our culture is obsessed with losing weight, assuming that we'll feel amazing about ourselves when the scale reaches a magic number. But it's not that simple.

And yes, more outfits, please. You look lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Fearful Things

Outrageous Expectations

A Great Hope