Happy in My Tummy


This is my favorite sandwich in the world, I think. At least for tonight. I made this for the first time a few years ago, and I keep coming back to it and back to it. Ohhh, it's lovely. And healthy. And stuff.

Okay, here. Make it, eat, be happy.

Black Bean Burgers with Spicy Cucumber and Red Pepper Relish

Ingredients
Relish:
2/3 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon finely chopped dill
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash of ground red pepper

Burgers:
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
Cooking spray

Preparation

To prepare relish, combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours.

To prepare burgers, place beans in a large bowl; partially mash with a fork. Stir in breadcrumbs and next 5 ingredients (breadcrumbs through egg). Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Prepare grill.

Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until thoroughly heated. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on the bottom half of each bun; top each with a patty, 1/4 cup relish, and top half of bun. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.

Comments

Kira said…
That is an old school Cooking Light recipe. I really like it, Lee hates it. It goes against his core belief of a burger must be beef. I do have to say he took his patty and put it in a taco shell and loved it :) He is wierd.
eden said…
that looks really good. i'll have to try it sometime.
belann said…
They do sound yummy. I do think you made them for us once--or wanted to. We must try them.
Amara said…
I've got that already in my plans for this week! I was planning on them tonight so the buns in my pantry don't get stale. That's a great recipe (although I have to say I'm the only one who uses the relish part, the rest of my family puts KETCHUP on them. Oh the humanity!).
Mike and Emily said…
Yum in my tum. I have a black bean wheat bulgar burger planned for later this week. I'll have to try this one too. Don't you have a killer recipe for a chick pea salad too? Did you post that and I missed it?
Love the recipe, I must try it out. And is that a picture you took? I can never get my food to look great in the light that I have in my kitchen and it doesn't help that my camera is ancient, even though it's digital.

Popular posts from this blog

Fearful Things

Outrageous Expectations

A Great Hope